Sinatra vs Puzo

Was just flipping through Xplore (I don't do this often), came across some trivia that Frank Sinatra had tried for Marlon Brando's role as Vito Corelone in The Godfather. This comes as a surprise, since from what I read in GQ (I think) around three years ago, Sinatra hated Mario Puzo's guts for having written the Godfather. He did, I think, hit out at Puzo when the latter got up to greet Sinatra at a restaurant. Why? Because the character of Johny Fontaine was supposedly based on Sinatra, having begged his mafiosi godfather to get him a plum role in an important film, just when his career was waning.

I thought Sinatra wouldn't have anything to do with Puzo and The Godfather! :S
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Chairman of the Board would have been awesome in anything, he always was. I would have loved to have seen him in the Godfather. And I think towards the end Frank kinda accepted his ties more openly.

October 15, 2005 8:40 pm  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

Hmm... I thought Marlon Brando was terrible as the Godfather. I read the book before I saw the movie, and I'd expected the Godfather to have a commanding voice, not a lozenge-deprived throat. Never heard anything by Sinatra, nor seen any movie of his. Movie recco's?

October 16, 2005 5:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The manchurian canaidate the first one. He was in tons of movies!

October 16, 2005 5:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home