Demand more

This is probably going to sound as if straight out of a self help book, but it isn't. For now, and I'm putting this down into words so that in case things don't work out, at least I know exactly what I was thinking and why I did what I did. So, enough beating around bushes at 7AM. Here goes:

I've come up with the theory of 'Demanding more'. This could be looked at as a both a strategy for pushing yourself to work harder, as well as a negotiating tactic. More than anything, you can look at it as a method for squeezing the maximum out of a situation. I've been told that I'm being unrealistic and impractical, but I think with little to lose and nothing to risk, I might as well demand more from myself and others because there's always the possiblity that I might get what I want. If not, there's always a greater possiblity that one may get more than what one was getting, before that demand was being made. At worst, I shall get what I a currently getting. While I'm not at liberty to disclose the actual circumstances, I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.

Do you think I should write a self help book? Perhaps I shall demand that of myself later. For now, I have other demands, like reports and presentations, to attend to. *grin*

Tags:

4 Comments:
Blogger Ankit said...

Interesting idea, I feel like giving it a go ;)

August 29, 2005 10:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are wrong. at worst you'll get beaten up and spend your birthday in a coal cellar. After that you will be nearly apperenticed to murderous possibly pedophile chimney sweep. Following a narrow escape, you'd serve time as a mute for an undertaker until you fought with his wife and Noah, his servant (a natural reaction since he called your mother a 'bad 'un'.) Demanding more can have some pretty fucked up consequences. - Ravi

August 30, 2005 7:45 am  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

Of course, it does depend on personal equations, and how well you're positioned. Right now I'm in a situation where I should demand more.

Okay, I'll give you an example - take freelance markets. Let's say I'm bidding for a copywritng project. If I quote higher than the average or the median quote, and am able to effectively depict that I'll be providing more value for money, there are chances that I shall be accepted. People here tend to, at times, equate price with quality. And you actually have Indians who bid for writing projects and simultaneously state : "We are prior experience in writing web content - ready to start immediately - satisfaction guaranteed with unlimited revisions - would love to discuss further - do get back to us - D" [link]

So if you're demanding more, you'll have to provide equal, if not more, value.

August 30, 2005 7:05 pm  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

LOl...Ravi, it depends on what, when, why and how you're demanding, and who you're demanding from.

I'm not the one who's indiscriminately asking everyone whether they are 'Game for the ride?' *ROFL*

August 30, 2005 7:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home