What's in a name?

One consequence of a blogging related dicussion that I've recently been involved in, off the blog, is that I'm going to make a conscious effort to not make this space into just another echo chamber. Not that I wasn't doing that earlier, but this has "reinforced my belief and strengthened my resolve". Heh.

Anyway-

We've all heard about Bangalore being renamed Bengalooru or Bengaluru. As Ankit put it : the powers that be can find much more productive uses of their time. While I agree with Ankit, I thought I might add to the discussion:

If things were truly democratic, the people of Karnataka would be asked to vote in favour or against the change, and all those who voted in favour would be charged a cess to recompensate those who voted against it. Charged for what? Well, why should those who are against the renaming bear the cost of repainting of signboards across the country. And maybe a few milestones too. Too utopian an idea?

Anyway, if this were the case, then not many would vote in favour, I'm sure. The point is that representative democracy runs on alcohol* and disillusionment.

-----------------------------------------------------------
* Intended allusions:
1. Distribution of alcohol during elections in exchange for votes
2. Vajpayee's alleged drinking habit
3. The don't give a damn about people state of Indian Politics, and
4. Johny Walker Black Label's tagline Keep Walking = Chalta hain.
Do post if you think of more.
2 Comments:
Blogger Ankit said...

Didn't comment before 'coz I was thinking of a few allusions to add. Then forgot about everything when I started reading stuff.

Anyways, cool post. I'm sure I've quoted this to ya before, but I can't help but quote it whenever people talk about democracy (call me crazy):

C: When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote. That way I can complain when the government doesn't represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation.
H: An ingeniously self-fulfilling plan.
C: It's a lot more fun to blame things than to fix them.

December 20, 2005 11:16 pm  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

The first word that came to mind when I read the Calvin's last statement was 'Ouch'.

December 21, 2005 7:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home