On Blogger Meets

That said, I’d like to know a little more about the large blogger gatherings. How exactly do they work? I’m not sure I’d be too comfortable meeting a large group of bloggers all at once (meeting them all for the first time, that is). So how do you break the ice? Is a lot of time spent on introducing the people who aren’t familiar with each other’s blogs? Are the awkwardness levels very high to begin with? Does everyone feel the need to ramble on about blogging, and doesn’t that defeat the purpose? [Link]

I've been to three blogger meets in Delhi, one of which I had sort-of-organised. I'd also organised a Limers Meet in 2001 (I think), where I met, along with 11 others, The Rhymebawd and Smitten Kitten (who tagged along with her then "best friend" Tinkerbell, who has now vanished), and if I'm forgetting anyone who was there - you should keep in touch. :D

How exactly do they work?

How are they organised? Well, someone takes charge and decides to co-ordinate the meet. This person (for example, you) takes it upon himself to suggest and achieve a consensus on the location. That never ever happens. Once you're fed up of wasting time deciding a location, you select one that is convenient to most, and where you can get a discount on food and beverages. Then you announce the location of the meet, although you don't really say 'take it or leave it', even if you mean it.

Call up or mail everyone, and answer try to answer questions like "What time can I leave?", "I know you've set the time as 6pm, but what time will everyone arrive?","Where exactly is this place?", "Who all are coming?" and "May I bring my dog Ponky along?"

Confirm, reconfirm. If anyone needs a ride, you co-ordinate it. Alternatively, you can just say "What the hell!", and let them get there by themselves if they want to meet.

So how do you break the ice?

If you want to break the ice, ramble. Really, it works. Then you shut up for a bit and let the other person ramble. If that doesn't work, then you keep asking questions until you feel it's time to move on to someone else. I think this can be used in quite a few places. If I write a book about it, I'm going to call it Ramble On(ly).

Is a lot of time spent on introducing the people who aren’t familiar with each other’s blogs?

It's rarely possible to know everyone, unless you're Harneet. Introductions are left to you. You can sit quietly in a corner, sipping your beer and smiling. No, unlike Caferati Meets you dont take turns introducing yourself. It's not a 'Bloggers Anonymous' meeting where you stand up and announce "Hi! I'm [Insert your name here] and I Blog six times a day. I've been blogging for [Insert number of months you've been online here] months." And everyone claps and people get up for a group hug. Depending on the company (largely female,I mean), I wouldn't mind a group hug. Hmm. O-)

You just go up to people and talk. :)

Are the awkwardness levels very high to begin with?

Differs from person to person. I think they're quite high to begin with. But once everyone gets high...*grin*

I remember Pooja J.'s comment when we met at the FLS meet. On FLS, I usually discussed issues. Serious stuff. None of the tomfoolery that exists on this blog, or in life otherwise. NixxiN.tk was a transition from the serious, issue-discussing Nikhil to going-crazy Nikhil. She was taken aback by my silly jokes, and I got one of those "I really didn't expect you to be quite like this, Nikhil" comments.

Does everyone feel the need to ramble on about blogging, and doesn’t that defeat the purpose?

There have been occasions where a blogging discussion agenda has been set, but I don't really agree with that. In anycase, that never ever happens. I, honestly, cannot discuss "implications of blogging", unless I'm making a list of 25. And those will rarely be appreciated by people who blog for salvation and "world peace" (you know who I'm talking about, dontcha H?). Blogger meets are about putting faces to names/alias' and blogs.

Please don't take this too seriously. Thank you. (And, NO. No group hug with men)

In other news, I got me a Terry Pratchett Discworld Comic - Mort :D

Tags:

7 Comments:
Blogger Harneet said...

yeah, this pretty much sums it...

July 06, 2005 2:10 pm  
Blogger Jay said...

Maybe you should write a book on "Hundred ways to build up your confidence to meet bloggers" :P Why this post?

July 06, 2005 8:25 pm  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

Uhh...Jay, there's a link next to the first paragraph. It links to a post by the Jabberwock. This is in response to that.

July 06, 2005 10:08 pm  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

Naah. I think you'd be better at describing the bloggers meet. Experience counts for something, yes?

July 07, 2005 6:33 am  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

Shucks! I remember that FLS thingy - at Wimpy's et all...how time flies

*long kinda-sorta-but-yet-somehow-not-quite-nostalgic sigh*

July 07, 2005 8:26 am  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

Who was that chap, to whom I introduced you as Tink? Zenwark or Augustmoon?

Wimpy's -> TGIF -> Barista (Tink played the guitar, remember?) -> M-52 (sneaked away)

The poetry session at M-52 was great fun.

July 07, 2005 8:26 pm  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

did you? introduce me to anyone as 'Tink'? *totally* don't remember this one!

About the session at M52: The 'Haila', you mean? Great fun!! :D

July 12, 2005 2:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home