A web of email addresses

Some of you may have already implemented a similar email structure, but I thought I should list it for the benefit of those who might have not.

Instead of creating a single email address and using it for all my email, I've created a star network topology. I've got a central email id (listed on this blog), and have a number of email addresses that forward email to it. I have separate email addresses for newsletter subscriptions, forums, GMAT and MBA, work etc. All mails received by, say, newsletter subscriptions are forwarded to my main ID (using GMail filters) where I delete the email after reading it. This way, the main mail ID only stores personal mails and the peripheral ID's hold the rest. It also allows me increased email space, and if ever an ID gets congested (if I finish my GMAT and MBA and have no use for it), I can just delete the filter and disconnect the email address from the network. I got this idea from the term 'web of companies', allegedly created by him.
3 Comments:
Blogger Ankit said...

That's cool. I use only one Gmail account, but with extensive filtering. All the mailing lists are archived to a particular label, and I use the +label addressing scheme when registering with most sites and filter based on that.

June 19, 2006 10:29 pm  
Blogger shyam said...

Been using this for over two years now :)

June 20, 2006 12:30 am  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

Ankit: interesting. Will use it in future. thanks.

shyam: why am I not surprised. :D

June 20, 2006 8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home